In Ulster County :
- 64.9% of women initiate breastfeeding
- 21.9% of babies are partially breastfed at least 6 months.
- 12.8% babies are partially breastfeed at least 1 year
- 13.3% are exclusively breastfeeding at 3 months
- 4.2% are exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months.
Breastfeeding is rewarding, but it can also be tough! This is particularly true in the first few weeks. It’s normal to have questions about breastfeeding, and it’s normal to want to talk to someone about it! Breastfeeding should not hurt. If you are experiencing pain, please call one of the numbers below!
There are many Resources Available for breastfeeding Moms:
If you are interested in attending a Breastfeeding Support Group, click here.
If you would like to talk with someone in person, click here.
To read more and see the answers to some of the Breastfeeding Frequently Asked Questions? Click Here.
If you’re pregnant, and interested in learning more about breastfeeding, click here.
Maternal Infant Services Network provides a Breastfeeding Directory for Orange, Sullivan, Ulster and Dutchess County. You can view it here.
The 2008 Pediatric Nutrition surveillance System (PedNSS) tracks breastfeeding rates for every county in New York State.