The 2011 Pediatric Nutrition surveillance System (PedNSS) tracks breastfeeding rates for every county in New York State.
In New York State :
- 78.7% of women initiate Breastfeeding
- 38.3% of babies are breastfed at least 6 months.
- 20.6% babies are breastfeed at least 1 year
- 11.3% are exclusively breastfeeding at 3 months
- 6.4% are exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months.
Healthy People 2020 includes Breastfeeding as one of its goals in the Maternal, Infant and Child Health Section – MICH 21
The targets for Breastfeeding for the year 2020 are:
- Ever Breastfed: 81.9% (Baseline 74.0%)
- Breastfeeding at 6 months: 60.6% (Baseline: 43.5%)
- Breastfeeding at 1 year: 34.1% (Baseline: 22.7)
- Breastfeeding exclusively through 3 months: 46.2% (Baseline: 33.6%)
- Breastfeeding exclusively through 6 months: 25.2% (Baseline: 14.1%)
There are 3 other goals related to breastfeeding:
- Increasing the proportion of employers that have work site lactation support programs a Goal of 38% – current baseline 25%)
- Reduce the proportion of breastfed newborns who receive formula supplementation within 2 days of life (Target: 14.2%, current: 24.2%)
- Increase the proportion of live births that occur in facilities that provide recommended care for lactating mothers and their babies (Target: 8.1%, baseline: 2.9%)